Help Us Advocate for Police Accountability
In accordance with approved Calif Assembly Bill 1185, SURJ Marin is actively working to push for a Citizen Oversight Board of the Marin Sheriff’s Dept. This is a chapter-wide campaign, and we are encouraging everyone involved with SURJ Marin to participate in our many activities designed to achieve this goal. Wondering why we need civilian oversight and increased accountability?
- Black and Brown residents in Marin have been over-policed for decades
- To protect human and civil rights of all Marin residents
- To make the Sheriff’s Office accountable to the community
- Increases transparency of Sheriff’s department
- Gives impacted community members a voice
- Provides independent investigation of complaints
- Ensures community involvement
- Provides confidentiality, anonymity, and protection from retaliation
- Removes influence from law enforcement in overseeing their own operations
- Reduces tax payer dollars associated with officer misconduct
For more information on how you can get involved in the SURJ Marin Police Accountability campaign, please follow us on our Facebook page and watch for upcoming action items in our weekly newsletter.