SURJ Marin is calling on people across the Bay Area to demand that the name of San Rafael’s Dixie School District be changed. Established during the Civil War, the district’s first schoolhouse was built by several pro-confederacy residents who named it Dixie in defiance of those in the area who were pro-Northern. Visit the Change The Name website to learn more and add your name to the list of public supporters. Here you’ll also find suggested actions you can take — from writing a letter to the Dixie School District Board of Trustees to suggesting a new name for the school district.
Click on an event in the calendar below for full details
- Jan 9, 9:30am, voice your concerns about clearing ex-Marin County sheriff’s deputy Evan Kubota’s department violations and possible reinstatement as a deputy at the Personnel Commission meeting, Civic Center, 3501 Civic Center Drive, Room 410 B (room # may change), San Rafael. See full information on the calendar below – and sign the Change.org petition here!
- Jan 14, Noon, FIlm Screening: Liyana, Smith Rafael Film Center, 1118 4th St., San Rafael
- Jan 21, 10am – 2:30pm, Celebration of the Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Marin City CA
- Jan 26, 2:00 – 4:00pm, Film screenings & discussion: Playing Indian and Native America: 7th Generation Rises, Fairfax Library, 2097 Sir Francis Drake Blvd.
- Jan 27, 12n – 2pm, Study & Action Potluck, Fairfax
- Jan 27, 3 – 4:30pm, Racial Justice Book Club meeting:
Chief Marin: Leader, Rebel, and Legend by Betty Goerke, Corte Madera Library
Find news on upcoming events and actions throughout the Bay Area at SURJ Bay Area’s website!